Emergency Water Damage Tips
Having any loss is devastating and responding when you’re in a state of panic is not always easy. When you have a water loss there are some steps you can take to prevent further and secondary damage. Here are some emergency water damage tips that the experts here at SERVPRO of The Windsors have gathered that can help you take action immediately after a water loss while you wait for our emergency response team to arrive:
- Shut off the water source if possible.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Remove Oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet and keep out of areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpeting.
- Most importantly, call SERVPRO of The Windsors at 860-627-0763.